Sunday, July 12, 2009

images assignment

Over the past several years I haven't done a very good job of organizing my pictures. When Griffen (my first child) was born in 2001 I took pics, had them developed and then put them in albums which are now in an obnoxiously, large plastic containers taking up valuable space in our storage room. Which by the way, we rarely open up, take out the albums and look at them. A few years back, I stopped getting all of our pics developed. I hated spending the time organizing the pics in albums plus we never even got them out of the container to look at them. My camera soon became overloaded with pics. This made me not want to take pictures anymore. I was in desperate need to be introduced to a photo organizer such as flicker. I have photos of friends, family, my classroom and holiday events that I need to organize. The thing I really like about flickr is that you can edit your photos, organize them into different files, make comments on your pics and send them to other people.

When I viewed different links to other people's uses of flick, it only encouraged me even more to continue with this particular photo editor. I enjoyed viewing a school teacher's classroom site which has used flickr to display what her students are currently working on in her class. I also enjoyed the Smithonians flickr site.

I have yet to use Picassa or any other photo editor. I am hoping that I can get on Picassa this week and compare it to flickr.

The classroom examples and tips on project management that I viewed in our webinar is something that I am anxious to share with fellow teachers. I feel like many teachers that I work with understand that we need to 21st skills to our students. They understand that our students are digital natives and are needing to learn things in more of a digital and interactive way than we did. However, as librarians, I feel we need to provide examples and show them how to teach in this manner. We are all going to have to relearn how to teach to this 21st generation of students.

No comments:

Post a Comment