Thursday, June 25, 2009

Chapter 5 RSS

I believe Richardson's final sentence in this chapter is quite powerful. Richardson says, " If you don't try any other tool in this book, you simply have to start using RSS. Remember: Resistance is futile." Wow!

Before I started reading this chapter, I felt like RSS would just overload me with information and consume even more of my already extremely limited time. You could say that I didn't have a very positive image of RSS.

After reading the chapter, I see that RSS feeds will actually save me time. I just need to be very choosy when deciding which feeds I really need to subscribe. If I choose the right ones, I won't have to waste time seeking the information, it will come straight to me.

I would like to go back to the final thought in this chapter, "...resistance is futile." I love this quote. Sadly I have to admit that I like it so much because I relate to it. I think that to some extent I have resisted some of the technical tools because I felt that they would just be one more thing to waste my time. Not resisting them and keeping an open mind to see how they can be helpful, not just to me but to others that I work with, is the key. A big part of my job, is to introduce these tools to staff members and students to help reduce stress and gain efficiency.

4 comments:

  1. I just unsubscribed to my first feed! It is true, we just have to be choosy because it can be a little overwhelming. I'm behind with my reading, but the fact that this tool allows me to collect my reading in one place is so important. So how do you think you can best introduce this tool to staff members and how best to introduce to students? Are they different?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richardson also opened my eyes to RSS Feeds. I guess I really did not understand them before, or really see their benefit. After working on our blogs, I can see how RSS Feeds can keep you organized and on top of things.
    Lisa S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely understand your idea that perhaps RSS was just another waste of time. Unfortunately, in education, sometimes it feels like we are just jumping on the latest bandwagon. However, this chapter opened my eyes, as it did yours, to the possiblities of using RSS to make your life easier. I am already using it to follow my blogger feeds and loving it! It is so much easier than checking everyone's blog each day and seeing if they have posted anything. Now I just look at my Google Reader and see if anyone I'm subscribed to has posted something new. If they have, I check it out. If not, I haven't wasted my time looking through 19 classmates' blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha, Kari. did you really unsubscribe? We are too alike. Still, I'm going to make "resistance is futile" my mantra this summer and try to live a more technologically adventurous life! Are you with me?!?

    ReplyDelete